Reported today at 08:43 AM was a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit the province Abra and was felt in Metro Manila and other nearby provinces. The epicenter was located in Abra causing establishments to collapse.
According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs), the exact magnitude was 7.3 and depth at 25 km.
“I urge everyone to stay alert and to prioritize safety in light of the possibilities of aftershocks that might be felt after that strong earthquake. We are monitoring the situation on the ground and gathering information on the extent of the damage to the province,” Abra Representative Ching Bernos stated.
Here is the list of the affected areas and their reported intensities:
- Intensity VII – Bucloc and Manabo, Abra
- Intensity VI – Vigan City, Sinait, Bantay, San Esteban, Ilocos Sur; Laoac, Pangasinan; Baguio City
- Intensity V – Magsingal and San Juan, Ilocos Sur; Alaminos City and Labrador, Pangasinan; Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya; Mexico, Pampanga; Concepcion and Tarlac City, Tarlac; City of Manila; Malabon City
- Intensity IV – Marikina City; Quezon City; Pasig City; Valenzuela City; Tabuk City, Kalinga; Bautista and Malasiqui, Pangasinan; Bayombong and Diadi, Nueva Vizcaya; Guiguinto, Obando, and San Rafael, Bulacan; San Mateo, Rizal
- Intensity III – Bolinao, Pangasinan; Bulakan, Bulacan; Tanay, Rizal
- Intensity II – General Trias City, Cavite; Santa Rosa City, Laguna
The earthquake triggered landslides and authorities urge people located in the affected areas to evacuate immediately.